Monday, August 27, 2007

The Tweed Chicken



A handspun approach to the tweed chicken concept.



She joins a small but illustrious line of previous tweed chickens of both the woven and button variety and she is my entry to this month's WhipLash contest.
whipup

This month's theme is Zakka, a concept I had not heard of before and I'm still not sure I understand but Ill make my own interpretation anyway. Just to be redundant, this is how WhipUp.net describes Zakka:
a cultural phenomena/fad that is all about a certain style, but it is part of a broader feeling that comes from within their history and religion and philosophy

Seeing as how the tweed chicken is part of my personal history and philosophy and a fantastic fad among friends (well, ok, maybe its just me...) I think this particular tweed chicken, with it's extra handmadeness is a perfect fit.

She is made from one diagonally woven (twill or tweed?) weave-it square made with handspun yarn. Only a few yards of yarn are needed to make a weave-it square which is perfect for scraps of handspun yarn (which I seem to have a lot of--I am still learning). The comb, beak and feet are crocheted from sock yarn.



Apollo likes to get in on the action too.

2 comments:

karrie said...

It is not just you - I love the tweed chicken too!!

Philippine Women for Marriage said...

Attractive post. I just stumbled upon your blog post and wish to say that I have really enjoyed analysis your blog posts. Any way I'll be subscribing to your feed and I expect you post again shortly