Monday, December 18, 2006

California Style Christmas


How to have a California style Holiday Season:
1. Combine all aspects of Holiday season into one big-ole celebration. I like to put a star of David on top of my Chirstmas Tree (or Holiday Bush etc). I also enjoy jewish themed ornaments. Im not religious at all so I just like to celebrate Christmas in the true American fashion of consumerism, feasts and family visits.


2. Use recycled materials for as many things as possible. And I dont mean wrapping paper made from recycled material (though that is a step in the right direction) I mean use things that have already served another purpose. I like to wrap presents in jcrew catalogs. I get far too many in the mail and the shiny colorfull glossy paper makes great wrapping material. Make your own bows and "ribbon" too! Ill post a bit more about that later.
I also made a garland this year out of already used printer paper and some red yarn. I think it would look nice and do a good job reflecting the colored lights if my tree were strong enough to support them!



3. Get your holiday tree(s) and foliage from a sustainable source. Mine came from my parents yard where the Douglass Fir trees are taking over. My dad is scrambling to keep their numbers under control so I would classify that as than sustainable. The Berkeley Forestry Club also sells trees on campus which they harvest from the research forest in the Sierras.

4. Make gifts yourself. I know not everyone has the time for this and it isnt appropriate for every situation but I really enjoy the process. I enjoy giving gifts to people that I have spent time thinking about and working on.


5. Enjoy the sun and spend some time outside just because you can!

No comments: